S40 questions

Luis Rives

Going back to the brake question... no canti or V brake mounts on the S40. There is a "brake"bridge that looks like you could use a caliper brake, but no standard one will work. You can use a long reach caliper, but those are not nearly as good as anything really - so disc brakes it is. When using road levers you have to make sure the disc calipers will work with that type of lever.... I recommend TRP Spyre calipers on the S40.
Why is the S40 not designed to work with standard caliper brakes? Why force riders to use disc brakes? The best course would be to have both options. Agreed the TRP disc brakes are very good, I have them on a TI DF bike, but nothing has the stopping power of caliper brakes.

Looking at Robert's comment above, has anyone built one of these with caliper brakes?

I've been running with TRP RG957 long reach brakes on my S40 and they work great. Rim brakes are just so much easier to work with and I haven't bothered to put disc brakes back on. I *may* put the discs back on for the mountains, but until then, these calipers with Swissstop BXP pads has all the stopping power I need. Here's the link y'all were looking for:

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/s40-build-notes.11777/page-2#post-138505

Thanks Doug, with a long tour planned for the summer I'm just thinking calipers are easier to deal with on the road.

Luis Rives

T
I've been running with TRP RG957 long reach brakes on my S40 and they work great. Rim brakes are just so much easier to work with and I haven't bothered to put disc brakes back on. I *may* put the discs back on for the mountains, but until then, these calipers with Swissstop BXP pads has all the stopping power I need. Here's the link y'all were looking for:

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/s40-build-notes.11777/page-2#post-138505
The TRP RG957 has a specd reach of 47-57mm and the Tektro R559 has a specd reach of 55-73mm so those should work also. I have ordered them and will report on what I discover with them on an S40.

Luis Rives

Thanks for the suggestion. While I have bought quite a few things from Nashbar (have purchased several Vuelta wheelsets when they have them on sale), I try to stay away from their house brand stuff. For example, I recall purchasing 700cx23 tubes and after several days they would go flat. I think it is poor quality control with the valves, so I am not sure I would trust them with brakes. The Tektro brakes I purchased from the big auction site, and while more than double the Nashbar brakes, they seem much better made. The TRPs were more than double the cost of the Tektro. Will report on how they work once I get them on the S40. I have used Tektro brake levers in a DF build I did that did not use brifters, and they are very good and very reasonable in price.

I recall purchasing 700cx23 tubes and after several days they would go flat.

I'd have to agree the tubes are suspect. Last year at BikeMS New Bern someone threw tacks on the road. There were over 150 reports of flats. Performance Bike (Nashbar) was there supporting the ride and were replacing a lot of tubes. We had a few fail just brand new out of the box. While I'm glad Performance was there supporting the ride, their house tubes did not impress me.
http://www.newbernsj.com/news/20170...y-scattered-tacks-on-road-130-plus-flat-tires

Can anyone give me an ID for the stock handlebar? I have a pair of Shimano SL-BS79 bar end levers I'm hoping to use, as long as the ID is compatible.

Thanks

LMT

Why is the S40 not designed to work with standard caliper brakes? Why force riders to use disc brakes? The best course would be to have both options. Agreed the TRP disc brakes are very good, I have them on a TI DF bike, but nothing has the stopping power of caliper brakes.

Even hydraulic disks? The ones I have on my S40 are superb.

I have it in my greasy fingers now !

Main frame assembly completed today (about all I could manage with jetlag from Houston).

The headrest insertion has defeated me though, the clamp went in OK, had to adjust the spacing a bit for the screw holes but no probs with that. What has defeated me is sliding the headrest tubes into the slots, any tips for that?

Bill K

Guru
I have it in my greasy fingers now !

Main frame assembly completed today (about all I could manage with jetlag from Houston).

The headrest insertion has defeated me though, the clamp went in OK, had to adjust the spacing a bit for the screw holes but no probs with that. What has defeated me is sliding the headrest tubes into the slots, any tips for that?
I had the same problem. I cut off the rubber "inner tube" cover and used a single layer of thin electrical tape to replace it.

Rob Leviston

Hi. I have a question about the S40. I have a homebuilt MBB that I have been working on and tweaking for several years. I wont go into all the iterations of my build, but it has been modified several times! I think I'm at the point now where I am fairly happy and comfortable with the bike. Except it is a bit heavy!
Anyway, I built this up using 559 wheels, and recently swapped the caliper brakes for TRP Spyres.
So I'm thinking about either building a new, lighter frame, or maybe just buy the S40 frame kit.
My question is this. Has anyone built up an S40 with 559 wheels? You may well ask, why would you, when there is a great proliferation of 700C, and now 29er wheels, which I assume would fit.
I tend be on the shorter side, and prefer a lower seat height, hence the thought of using 559 wheels! And the S40 is more appealing to my riding style, than the T50. ( Before anyone asks!)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Hi. I have a question about the S40. I have a homebuilt MBB that I have been working on and tweaking for several years. I wont go into all the iterations of my build, but it has been modified several times! I think I'm at the point now where I am fairly happy and comfortable with the bike. Except it is a bit heavy!
Anyway, I built this up using 559 wheels, and recently swapped the caliper brakes for TRP Spyres.
So I'm thinking about either building a new, lighter frame, or maybe just buy the S40 frame kit.
My question is this. Has anyone built up an S40 with 559 wheels? You may well ask, why would you, when there is a great proliferation of 700C, and now 29er wheels, which I assume would fit.
I tend be on the shorter side, and prefer a lower seat height, hence the thought of using 559 wheels! And the S40 is more appealing to my riding style, than the T50. ( Before anyone asks!)
I have 559 wheels on my Silvio S30, while I wait for me to build up two 700c wheel sets, using TRP Spyres brakes and it works perfectly!

S40, or any other CB on a turbo trainer.

How do you get around the longer skewer issue? The skewers for my TT have a particular shaped end but are standard length, so won't manage the front of the S40 with the fork and chainstay arrangement.

orind

I am using the Tacx Neo--it is compatible with 135mm hubs, so no issue other than having to unbolt the brake caliper.
Not sure what model your TT is, but you should be able to get a longer skewer.