S40 tire size

What is the maximum width 559 (26in) tire that will fit on a S40. I have 2 wheelsets, Schwalbe Marathon racer 40 x 559 & Kojak 50 x 559. Measured with a caliper they are 37 & 47 mm wide.

Markopolo

The i.d. of my s40 fork is 1.78 or 45mm as near as I could measure. If it gets too tall could be a problem also, with the 32mm tire the distance on the sidewalls is the same as the crown of the tire to the headstay, and that 700 x 32mm panaracer measures about 37mm wide.

The i.d. of my s40 fork is 1.78 or 45mm as near as I could measure. If it gets too tall could be a problem also, with the 32mm tire the distance on the sidewalls is the same as the crown of the tire to the headstay, and that 700 x 32mm panaracer measures about 37mm wide.

Thanks,
I thought the M Racer would fit but the Kojak would be a long shot. The Kojak is also quite large in diameter, almost as tall as a narrow 700 c.

Bill K

Guru
What rims do you have? Are you running new tubelesess Babyshoe pass or older non-tubeless?
The rims are HED Belgium Plus (disk brake) and the tires are the Babyshoe pass TC extra light, tubeless with Orange sealant.
The fenders barely fit (the width is compressed slightly by the fork) but I am quite happy with them.
Velo Orange 650b Zeppelin Fender Sets - 650b x 52mm (Black). There is about 4mm clearance from the tire to the fender, which is just about right.
I've got about 650 miles on them so far this year. So far no issues and they roll quite well.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
The rims are HED Belgium Plus (disk brake) and the tires are the Babyshoe pass TC extra light, tubeless with Orange sealant.
The fenders barely fit (the width is compressed slightly by the fork) but I am quite happy with them.
Velo Orange 650b Zeppelin Fender Sets - 650b x 52mm (Black). There is about 4mm clearance from the tire to the fender, which is just about right.
I've got about 650 miles on them so far this year. So far no issues and they roll quite well.
And bike is S40? Can you please post some photos of your front end? Whan it clearance on sides of tire?
I am looking for way how to fit bigger than 28 mm tubeless tires to my Vendetta. Fork from S40 combined with 650b rims and Babyshoe pass TC seams as good solution.

Bill K

Guru
And bike is S40? Can you please post some photos of your front end? Whan it clearance on sides of tire?
I am looking for way how to fit bigger than 28 mm tubeless tires to my Vendetta. Fork from S40 combined with 650b rims and Babyshoe pass TC seams as good solution.
Yes, that is on an S40.

Just for fun I put these wheels (650b x 42) on my V20.
The back tire fits the V20 just fine with good clearance:
V20Back.jpg

The front tire spins freely on the V20 but there is less than 1mm clearance between the tire and the fork. I would not ride it like this.
You could fit 650b x 38 but I don't know of any tubeless tires in this size.
V20Front.jpg

This is the S40:
S40Fender.jpg

This is the S40 tire clearance. That is a 4mm allen wrench, barely held in place by the tire (so clearance is just under 4mm on each side).
S40Clearance.jpg

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Yes, that is on an S40.

Just for fun I put these wheels (650b x 42) on my V20.
The back tire fits the V20 just fine with good clearance:
View attachment 6323

The front tire spins freely on the V20 but there is less than 1mm clearance between the tire and the fork. I would not ride it like this.
View attachment 6324

This is the S40:
View attachment 6325

This is the S40 tire clearance. That is a 4mm allen wrench, barely held in place by the tire (so clearance is just under 4mm on each side).
View attachment 6326
Thank you for Your photos and measurement. My idea was that I will use S40 fork on my Vendetta with exactly same 650b wheels and tires.
I have confirmation from Compass cycles that they are not planning 650b x 38 mm in tubeless version.

mattwall

Is the tyre clearance on the S40 wider at the rear wheel ? Would it be possible to use a wider tyre at the back than the front?

Bill K

Guru
Is the tyre clearance on the S40 wider at the rear wheel ? Would it be possible to use a wider tyre at the back than the front?
The rear frame is just about the same, maybe a bit wider. You could probably fit a 650b x 46 or 48. Mounting a fender would be more difficult (cut it and attach it above the brake bridge).
I don't have a 26" tire/rim to try but you could probably fit a 26" x 2.2".

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
There are Panaracer Gravel King tires in this size :)

@Bill K What is real width of Your 650b x 42 Compass tires? I am thinking how wide rims may be used with gravel kings to still fit to Vendetta's fork. I have found that they are 38.36 mm wide on rim with 18 mm internal width.

Last edited:

Bill K

Guru
There are Panaracer Gravel King tires in this size :)

@Bill K What is real width of Your 650b x 42 Compass tires? I am thinking how wide rims may be used with gravel kings to still fit to Vendetta's fork. I have found that they are 38.36 mm wide on rim with 18 mm internal width.

I don't have a good caliper. Measured with a cardboard cutout they are less than 42mm and greater than 41mm width.
That's with 40 psi and 6-months of riding, so as stretched as they are going to get.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I don't have a good caliper. Measured with a cardboard cutout they are less than 42mm and greater than 41mm width.
That's with 40 psi and 6-months of riding, so as stretched as they are going to get.
Thanks