Silvio 2.0 with Crud RoadRacer Fenders

Ivan

Guru
I am trying to install these low profile fenders but without success. One challenge is the typical mounting point on the fork/chainstay is where the disc brake tabs are. I lengthened one of the slots on the fenders so that the fender can be in the 5mm range of the tyre that is recommended.

However I still cannot get the fender to clear the tire. There seems to be enough clearance between my 23c tyres and the fork and brake calipers but still no joy. This is even without the extensions mounted onto the cruds. I can't get the main body to clear the tyres despite studying the Crud videos and instructions.

I think someone posted that they installed these on SIlvio 1.0 but I can't find the post now. Has anyone tried these fenders on Silvio 1 or 2?

Ivan

Guru
Thanks Eric. After a second

Thanks Eric. After a second round of fiddling I managed to get them on. The fitting is a bit more challenging on Silvio 2.0 due to the disc brake tabs limiting the position. After trying many different positions on the stays unsettled on the fender attachments directly on the disc brake tabs (I don't use disc brakes). This means one side is closer to the fender than the other side with no tabs. The adjustment range on the Roadracers just manage to handle this. I will post some pics when I get into some sunlight. Have not tested on the road yet. The fenders look good -- sleek and hardly visible especially with black Silvio.

Tuloose

Guru
Planet Bike Fenders on a Silvio

I also wanted fenders on my Cruzbike. Even if you don't mind crud being thrown up in your face it is courteous to the rider behind you to keep the splatter off them.
I purchased a pair of Planet Bike road bike fenders and mounted them on my Silvio 2.0.
I switched the fenders, mounting what is normally the shorter front fender on the rear and the rear fender on the front of the Silvio. I had no problem fitting the fenders between the forks. I am running 25mm Conti Gatorskins.

Here is how I mounted the fender on the front of the bike.
I cut 8" off the end of the fender that would normally be attached to the chain stay bridge on a regular bike.

IMG_1551.JPG

I positioned the fender where I wanted it, marked the section under the brake bolt and drilled 2 holes in the fender. I ran a zip tie through the holes and tied the fender up to the brake bolt.

IMG_1552.JPG

I then zip tied off the fender stay mounts to the fork to add stabilization.

IMG_1559.JPG

The left side lower stay was easy. I just used a bolt in the lower hole for the disk brake mount.

IMG_1553.JPG

The right lower stay was more of a problem. I could have used a band clamp but I chose to wrap some electrical tape around the fork and using a long zip tie, double wrap the stay to the fork. I added a small tie to the stay at the lower derailleur cable. So far it has held up but if it gives me a problem later on I will use a band clamp.

IMG_1554.JPG

The last part was to stabilize the front of the fender with the plastic clip. I didn't want to drill a hole in the carbon fiber so I lightly sanded the mating surfaces and glued the clip to the carbon fiber with Fix-All Adhesive I purchased at the local dollar store. I clamped the clip to the carbon and let it sit overnight. I can also run zip ties through the clip and tie it to the carbon fiber if the glue ever doesn't hold.

IMG_1550.JPG

The rear fender was easier.
I glued a piece of black foam rubber cut from an old pair of knee pads to the fender to bring it closer to the tire.
I inserted a zip tie on either side of the aluminum block on the titanium spring. I then drilled 4 holes in the fender and tied the fender up to the block.

IMG_1557.JPG

The lower part of the rear fender was easily attached to the threaded holes in the rear wheel stays.

IMG_1555.JPG

counterpoint

nice pictures!

These pictures are exactly what I wanted to see. I'm considering carbon wheels with Novatron disc hubs and TRP's Spyre or Hy/Rd (=hydraulic) disc brakes. Heavier than the Ciamelli Zero Gravity (200g pair) but no issues with 'melting' rims on fast descents.
If only I could decide whether to go tubular or stick with clinchers. That said, I had a blow out last week that got me scared

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Nice job, Tuloose...

... Love to see folks solve problems like this.

The hardware store will likely have "P-Clamps" that would make this easier.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/commuting-touring-ride-reports/how-do-i-mount-rear-rack-146866.html

(scroll down a bit...)

SKS "Raceblade" fenders could also work here,

http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=product&r=mudguards&i=5289300000&RACEBLADE%20XL%20SET

John T. has used them on his Silvio 1.0 with great success. They attach to an area of the fork/rear seat stay that keeps them out of areas that pose problems.

Silvio 2.0 has great versatility...

Cheers,

Doug

iow

clip on fenders

i tried some sks raceblades but they were a bit fiddly to fit and the rear mech cable got in the way. (sorry no photos)

i settled on the set-up below as i wanted something which could be fitted or removed in a couple of seconds.

front: sks x board:

front(1).JPG height:346px; width:461px

rear: sks beavertail xl

rear.JPG height:346px; width:461px

rear guard is mounted on a homemade stainless bracket, and simply slides on or off in a second.

bracket.JPG height:346px; width:461px

Tuloose

Guru
Thanks

Thanks for the clarification of terminology Doug.
I was thinking P clamps were called band clamps.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
A would like to ask. Is it

A would like to ask. Is it possible to mount any mudguards on Vedetta?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Keep an eye that the travel

Keep an eye that the travel of the rear wheel is not compromised. The plate attaching the Ti link to the frame serves as a bump stop, if the elastomer is not enough.

Jeremy S

Dude
I think he means that if the

I think he means that if the suspension bottoms out, the tire will hit the metal plate, not the frame.

iow

ivan, looking good.
what size

ivan, looking good.
what size tyres are you running?
once set-up can they be quickly removed/refitted?
thanks.

Ivan

Guru
Crud RoadRacer Mark II

I have now used these fenders for several weeks and feel ready to comment on their overall usage and effectiveness. Installing them well takes time. Lots of online reviews say that. It's not clear exactly why until you start to try yourself. Clearances are so tight that you really have to get a "feel" for how these work. Once you have done that, they work well. It's not as easy as the official video makes it appear to be but they do work. Some reviews say they are flimsy and break easily. The Mark II version has been strengthened. They are not the strongest things out there, but they are very good for what they are.

photo+5.JPG height:585px; width:780px

First, I think they look great. They are designed to be minimalist and yet they provide full coverage. I think they go superbly on Silvio 2.0 - If you have looked closely at Crud RoadRacer pics you will notice the rear tail section of most online pictures looks different. This is cos I am not using the long rear mudflap and also not using the long/large drive-train protector that goes on the front part of the rear wheel. Crud provides short flaps which I using. This works well for me cos the short flap still allows my bike to stand vertically on the floor (which I need for storage in my office), and it is still long enough to protect me.

photo+1.JPG height:585px; width:780px

photo+4.JPG height:585px; width:780px

I struggled where to mount the mudguard stays, given that the disc brake tabs were "in the way". After much trial and error I decided to mount directly on the tabs. This means that the left and right are asymmetrical. There is enough adjustment range in the stays to accommodate this asymmetry and centre the mudguards.

photo+2.JPG height:585px; width:780px

photo+3.JPG height:585px; width:780px

The protection provided by the mudguards are excellent. I wanted one that went underneath calipers. This means that tolerances are very tight. Crud says that they are easy to adjust and settle down in 10 min or one ride. I found mine took a few rides to "settle down" which means on those first few rides I was fiddling with them, hearing them touch the tyres, and wondering whether they would be worth the trouble or not. After a few rides however, they settled down and stayed clear of the tyres. I prefer not to use the "pile strips" which are brushes that help keep the mudguards in position. I felt they were more trouble than they were worth.

photo+1.JPG height:585px; width:780px

The bike you see in this pictures was ridden in a light rain this morning with wet pavement for 1 hour. When I arrived at work I took some toilet paper and wiped down dirt on the frame in only two places - the front and rear carbon stays. This took me 2 min. The mudguards had kept the bike very clean. While the Silvio is already much "cleaner" to ride in the wet than my DF, these mudguards make it even more so. Living in a tropical country I will leave these mudguards on year round.

Ivan

Guru
My tyres are 23mm. Crud says

My tyres are 23mm. Crud says you can use these if you can fit a 4mm allen key between your tyres and your fork/brake calipers. It is not the tyre size that matters but the clearance.

For minimal removal and refitting you need to undo two thumbscrews and one re-usable zip tie to get each mudguard off. Possibly a third thumbscrew for one of the flaps. In this manner the brackets stay strapped to your bike with the rubber O-rings. You could do this in < 10 min but I don't think you want to do this just before a ride. More likely you do a complete removal/refit before and after the rainy season. The first time it will take you 1-2 hours just fiddling, including cutting and pasting tape to protect your frame. After than probably 15-20 min for full removal and refit.

Ivan

Guru
3 month check-in

It's been 3 months and the fenders are great. I highly recommend them for those riding occasionally on wet roads. Cleaning the bike is a breeze, and with less crud on the bike and the mechanicals I am sure it's good for maintenance too!

It took a few weeks for the fenders to really "settle in" -- during this time, I would tweak the position after each ride. But after they find their place I don't give them a second thought and they just do their job.

I am keen to try them with a wider 25mm tyre with some tread (doubt a 28mm would work with the fenders), but I have not done so yet.