Silvio 2.0 with Panniers

Ivan

Guru
I tried loading up Silvio with some panniers to test a touring configuration. I have never done multi-day touring before and never even used panniers before so this is new ground for me, hoping to do a solo credit-card tour one day... Pictured below are my Silvio with "Phil and Teds" panniers. If you haven't heard of these before it's because they are BABY accessories not bike accessories! They were made to be hung off strollers, and I picked them up second hand some years ago but never used it much for my kids.

IMG_2226.JPG height:585px; width:780px

They attach with two simple loops of velcro that are strong are fairly long. Long enough, in fact, to not only loop around a stroller, but around Silvio's hydroformed tubing. I played around with different placements. The one in the pic below with the seat off was too low. Looked good at first, but when I loaded the panniers they touched the wheel. I shifted them higher so that BOTH seatstay and chainstay (without chain) hold the bag away from the wheel. They do have a hard plastic sheet on the side facing the bike, but the rest of the bags are completely floppy so they need to be at least half full or they look deflated.

I loaded up the left bag with clothes and some gear. Didn't have anything to carry in the right bag so I stuffed it with a cushion from my sofa! Then set off this morning, taking the long route to work to try out the bags. I didn't feel slow and bike handling was smooth. I thought it worked out really well and I'm a happy camper, but I don't really know what to look out for other than the bags being stable and not rubbing any wheels. I guess if I use them longer I may want to stick some protection onto the frame. What else should I be looking out for? Especially since these weren't originally made for biking!

It was really nice to get out this morning on this 47km ride. I left while it was still dark. Didn't feel like I was going to work at all, especially once I hit this rare rural patch!?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
As long as they are not

As long as they are not rubbing on the wheel or shifting weight as you corner, then you're probably good to go.

They look like they get the job done nicely. :)

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Ingenious

Ivan,

You'd never know that the bags are not cycling-specific. I have tried a similar treatment on the Silvio 1.0 using traditional panniers, but as the seat is an integrated component of the frame, it is a bit more difficult to fit the bags. Also, the reclined position of your Silvio's seat is better suited to keeping the bags properly oriented.

I have to say that this a great idea you have. I look forward to hearing how it works for you over time.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Those look really good.
You

Those look really good.

You will want to consider what will happen if you get caught having to ride for any duration in the rain.

Otherwise, as you mention, keep an eye out for chafing so you can figure out how to protect your paint finish from getting marred or have a mount fail due to chafing.

-Eric

They look good.  The first

They look good. The first times you ride with them in the rain put all your electronics in Ziploc plastic bags or Tupperware or anything waterproof. Investigate how the bags keep out moisture. Beyond that, they sound like they are good to go on some light touring!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Gosh! Your bike is beautiful!

Even when loaded up, it still looks stunning! I think it's official, this is one of the best looking Cruzbike hands down!

The bags look like they were built for the Silvio-2! You may however, have to consider some detachable aluminium bracing to prevent the bags from touching the wheels when heavily loaded. To protect and maintain the beautiful paint, you may need to wrap some rubber layer on the stays.

Other bags that follow the profile of the seat are good and may probably work for the Silvio-2 and the V. For instance the Banana Racer: (https://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/products/recumbent-bags/side-panniers/banana-racer)
banana-racer-recumbent-bags-red(1).jpg

A pannier holder similar to the one below, with some custom modifications, may probably work to prevent the bags rubbing against the wheel . I think it is a Nazca Fuego low racer pannier,according to Nanda's photos.

cruzbike-pannier-beacing.jpg

A possible solution to keep

A possible solution to keep panniers from swinging into the wheels could be to tie some lengths of string from the seat stay up to the seat. The panniers would hit these strings instead of continuing in to the wheels. Light, cheap, and probably very quick to (un)install.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Ivan is making me cry.
For my

Ivan is making me cry.

For my Grasshopper I got bags from Hpvelotechnik, which are re-branded Radical. I like them. Also, I do not like them.

I like them because I do not like all the extra pockets and zipped compartments that some bags have. I like them because they are the biggest bags there are. You can get the whole universe in one bag, and the anti-universe in the other.

I don't like them because they have no side-straps, so when I go round a corner, the bag drags on the ground. If I am carrying something big I have to remember to corner really slowly. When I first got them I didn't strap them securely, and they kept coming undone, which made them drag even more. They now have big holes in them and are all muddy.

My bike is not as smart-looking as Ivan's.

Ivan

Guru
Thanks everyone for all your

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts, ideas and comments. On my way home, I loaded my the left pannier with books and papers I needed. It was pretty heavy and I discovered that this was the limit of unbalanced panniers as I only had a fluffy cushion in my right pannier! The bike pulled slightly to the left all the way home, but I still wanted to try and manage as this was a test. I met a small group of DF riders so I picked up pace and kept up with them. "Nice bike!" One rider yelled. "Looks very comfortable." "Very interesting machine!" I was carrying about 5kg worth of gear so I as pleased to almost match them up a hill then blasted by the TT bike down the other side. I definitely could not have done that carrying this load on my DF. Oh wait, I can't even carry this load on my DF road bike! Once again, it is amazing how versatile Silvio is. I can push her really hard, load her like a pack mule, or stroll along the beach front on a relaxed and reclined chair!

The Phil and Teds bags are very stable in Silvio 2 throughout the 72km I did today. The way the straps wrap around the hydroformed tube create a solid connection. The seat stays and chainstay make it impossible for the hard backed pannier to touch the wheel even when loaded with my books and an A4 file. The correct positioning of the panniers was essential for this happy state of affairs. The circular cut-outs in the Silvio frame make it easy to harness Velcro loops so that the bags don't slide down. The Silvio seat presses down on the hard plastic side panel, which discourages the panniers from swinging to the side. Thus, the panniers don't move to the side when I lean the bike. Even if they did, the height of the bags on this high racer means the bags would not touch the ground unlike a bike with smaller wheels. One downside is that with the top of the bags pressed against the bottom of the seat, it is difficult to access the Phil & Teds top pocket in the cover of each pannier. This is a nice feature of these panniers to store smaller items. I may try and modify my Velcro straps slightly to improve positioning and allow me access to these pockets, but the current setup is very functional already. Excellent, given that it is off the shelf with no additional rack.

Sorry Bladderhead...I am sure I will get Silvio muddy and messy sometime. She is only 2 months old! :)