T50 - whatcha planning to build.....

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Given production cycle I'm guessing first batch of colors is set. From a painting standpoint it's usually easiest to move off black or white to a color as it doesn't mess up inventory for the paint booths; you always have to have a lot of black on hand....

but

That idea sort of breaks the covenant with people that rushed to purchase the Limited edition colors. Now that doesn't preclude them adding a new batch of different colors for the December shipment and letting people change their backing; as long as it's in the 34 day window and the project stays funded; people can change what they picked.

Boom!

I probably just got lucky.

Frisard

IMG_0030.JPG I backed a black Tin Lizzie frame set. Since I have been upgrading my QX 100, I have spare parts to be used and will put them on the T50. Keeping the T50 simple is the goal.
BTW, the original T retailed at $825, and it came with 4 wheels. In 108 years the dollar appears to have 1/2 its purchasing power.;)

Last edited:

Frisard

It looks like the frameset does not include a stem. I need to add that to my parts pile. Does anyone know if the steering tube is 1 1/8 inch? What's a typical stem length on these bikes?
I am assuming the front triangle to be the same as the QX100. Am I wrong?

ratz

I am assuming the front triangle to be the same as the QX100. Am I wrong?

Depends on why you want to know really. If you are wondering from the angle of will you know how to wrench on it; then The structure of the triangle is the same between the models in the type of parts used; we can see that visually.

If you are wondering about swapping the noses Qx100<-> T50 or Quest<->T50 then it's trickier. We haven't been told if the rake and trail is compatible. What we don't have is the angle of the head-tub; the sweep of the forks forward and the length of the fork. They might be compatible but they might also be off enough to cause terrifically bad handling if you tried to swap the noses between bikes. The bike went through iterations to get that right, for the weight distribution; I suspect it favors the sit tall sit forward position the bike is setup for. Eventually @Robert Holler tests such things for fun; you can tell how bad an idea it is by how pale white he gets when you ask if it works.

Frisard

Depends on why you want to know really. If you are wondering from the angle of will you know how to wrench on it; then The structure of the triangle is the same between the models in the type of parts used; we can see that visually.

If you are wondering about swapping the noses Qx100<-> T50 or Quest<->T50 then it's trickier. We haven't been told if the rake and trail is compatible. What we don't have is the angle of the head-tub; the sweep of the forks forward and the length of the fork. They might be compatible but they might also be off enough to cause terrifically bad handling if you tried to swap the noses between bikes. The bike went through iterations to get that right, for the weight distribution; I suspect it favors the sit tall sit forward position the bike is setup for. Eventually @Robert Holler tests such things for fun; you can tell how bad an idea it is by how pale white he gets when you ask if it works.
I was asking because I was just wanting to swap the components and wheels and stuff from the QX 100 to T50. So the question regarding stem size fitting on the riser suggested to me the answer would be in the QX 100.

ratz

I was asking because I was just wanting to swap the components and wheels and stuff from the QX 100 to T50. So the question regarding stem size fitting on the riser suggested to me the answer would be in the QX 100.
Components should map across fairly well.

Brad R

I changed mine from a complete to a frame set. I want to start looking for good deals on wheels. Is the drive wheel a 135mm or 130mm or will both work? Is the rear wheel a 100mm?

ratz

I changed mine from a complete to a frame set. I want to start looking for good deals on wheels. Is the drive wheel a 135mm or 130mm or will both work? Is the rear wheel a 100mm?
135mm/100mm

Brad R

135mm/100mm
Thanks.

Does a 28/40/54 triple with an 11-32 9 speed cassette make sense for this bike? I have this setup that I can take off of another bike.

My other thought was going 1x11 with an 11-46 cassette and a 36 or 40 tooth chain ring.

I appreciate the way you share your knowledge.

ratz

Thanks.

Does a 28/40/54 triple with an 11-32 9 speed cassette make sense for this bike? I have this setup that I can take off of another bike.

My other thought was going 1x11 with an 11-46 cassette and a 36 or 40 tooth chain ring.

I appreciate the way you share your knowledge.

Both of those will climb a wall. If you are particular about your cadence being in a tight range of comfort; then the triple. If you have a wide range of cadence you enjoy then the 1x11. The 1x11 is obviously a more simple configuration and easier to adjust.

Go here to experiment before you decide: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
That gearing will be pretty low. Doable but possibly you might be into trike gearing category - at a certain point keeping your balance can be an issue on two wheels. The 28/34 combo is about 5mph at 80RPM cadence.

Brad R

That gearing will be pretty low. Doable but possibly you might be into trike gearing category - at a certain point keeping your balance can be an issue on two wheels. The 28/34 combo is about 5mph at 80RPM cadence.

I know it is a low gear but I can ride it at 3-4 mph for the 20 yards of very steep driveway on my RWD recumbent 2 wheeler.
I can't generate enough power (may be different after I lose 50 lbs) to ride up a 20% grade any faster.

What is the steepest grade you can ride up (even if it is short) on a T50 or the closest geometry Cruzbike based on traction, center of gravity and bike geometry?

Thanks.

Brad

Woodeye

Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the cruzbike with a T50 Complete on the way in July. I am looking for suggestions for fenders, rack and pedals. I'll be riding for exercise and recreation. BTW I live in Western New York with the last mile to my house being a 800 ft. climb. One of the reasons to choose a Cruzbike.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I know it is a low gear but I can ride it at 3-4 mph for the 20 yards of very steep driveway on my RWD recumbent 2 wheeler.
I can't generate enough power (may be different after I lose 50 lbs) to ride up a 20% grade any faster.

What is the steepest grade you can ride up (even if it is short) on a T50 or the closest geometry Cruzbike based on traction, center of gravity and bike geometry?

Thanks.

Brad
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_apple
You will get more grip, AND comfort if you go to a 26"* 2" like a Schwalbe Big Apple, with raceguard, as if a 90 kg (200 lb) rider, then the minimum pressure of 35 psi, will give you the lowest rolling resistance ride and grip, and the contact patch at 35 psi is double that of a tyre at 70 psi!

http://interdependentscience.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/bicycle-tire-pressure.html

When I bought my Silvio V1.0 with a 45 deg seat, and running 700c*23 continental 4000s at 110 psi max 120 psi (instead of the 145 psi as recommended by site above) I would spin my tyre when starting on wet worn smooth chip seal, but could ride up a fresh chip seal (or dry hot mix) climb of 16% if no more than 200 m as this engine, is NOT a Jason or a Larry!

When I swapped to a 700*28 Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, the traction (AND confidence when descending) in the wet increased 50%, ie start on the same 9% smooth wet climb easily with no wheel spin, and cornering at the recommended road corner speed in the wet with no concerns, unless there was water across the road, and +10% to +20% if dry!

On the 4000s, I would slow to 75% of the signed corner speed, if there was ANY moisture on the road, as the tyres would squirm, and partially let go! I don't know if it was because the 4000s were grossly overloaded by a fat bastard, or the tyre construction and rubber let it down!

With the T50 high seat angle of 53 to 76 degrees, the front wheel will have more load (55% to 60?%) on it compared to a Quest (QX100) at 45 (50%) to 60 (??%) degrees, Silvio S30 33 Degrees, and Vendetta 21 degrees, where the load on both wheels is the same 50%, so the drive traction will be better than other Cruzbikes.

Last edited:

Brad R

super slim,

Thanks for the information.

I was using a 50mm Big Ben on my Haluzak Horizon.

I was planning on going a little smaller so that I could fit fenders on the T50.

But, I will look for good rubber to help with traction and suspension on the bumpy roads we have around here. The frost heave cracks really slowed me down when I had Primo Comets on the Horizon.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant

or, 40RPM at 2.5 mph. Go lower. :)

It really depends on your knees and your style. I don't like pushing and really do like spinning up big hills. I can go ~2.5 mph on most of my Cruzbikes for very long periods of time.

Ratz is right. If you like small steps, then a triple with a tight cassette is a great option. If you don't mind gaps, then your life is easier.

I've got triples on my (now four) Cruzbikes.

Brad R

or, 40RPM at 2.5 mph. Go lower. :)

It really depends on your knees and your style. I don't like pushing and really do like spinning up big hills. I can go ~2.5 mph on most of my Cruzbikes for very long periods of time.

Ratz is right. If you like small steps, then a triple with a tight cassette is a great option. If you don't mind gaps, then your life is easier.

I've got triples on my (now four) Cruzbikes.

I don't have any bikes with truly small steps ( mine all go 11-13-15- .... ) so I don't know for sure if I would like a triple with a narrow cassette ( like 12-13-14-15-16 ... ) more than an 1x11 with an 11-46 cassette that starts 11-13-15-17 or 11-13-15-18.

Brad R

If I build it with a 3x9, what type of front derailleur do I need? Will a Shimano M590 top-swing work? It can be pulled from above or below which seems good. Is top swing the right swing? Does the swing matter?