Testing week in Asheville, NC June 25 - July 1

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
An invitation of sorts:
I am finally taking a week off to do intensive testing of my collection of bikes (mostly recumbents) and their accompaniments.
I will spend the better part of 7 straight days doing various testing.
My testing will be conducted with power meters, and as similar components, wheelsets, tires and other items as possible.
One of my first goals is to attempt to make each bike as aerodynamic as possible by testing various changes within each bike itself.
The primary goal however is to test all the bikes at various speeds and wattages to discover how they compare and which ones take the least amount of watts at various speeds.
It may be that one bike is more efficient at one speed, but another bike is more efficient at another speed.
I will hopefully even have an SRAM Etap TT setup that should be a quick change over to any other bike.
I will begin on Saturday June 25 and ending on Friday July 1st
Most of my testing will be done on an 1/3 oval track or high school track in the area, and I plan to be out at one track or another all day, weather permitting of course.

The bikes I will be testing so far are:
  • Crubike Vendetta V20 - with various chainstay lengths, seat reclines, and handlebars
  • M5 Chome-Molly mid-racer
  • M5 Titanium Carbon Fiber low racer
  • M5 CHR
  • John Morciglio Arrowhead
  • John Morciglio M1 low racer
  • Zockra Clone FWD MBB built by Ken StolpMann
  • Specialized Crosstrail DF
  • John Morciglio Apache
  • John Morciglio Hammerhead
  • Tom Ollinger's FWD MBB named "Elegant Solution"
I know it is short notice, but I cordially invite anyone over to my neck of the woods to participate in this testing.
Are you curious how your Vendetta (or other bike) stacks up against some of these other bikes.
Would you like to try and ride some of these other bikes.
Would you like to experiment with different cranks lengths, helmets, handlebars, etc?
Never used a power meter?
I have an extra PT wheel that you can also use if you don't use power and are curious about that data, and my adjustable crank set.
It would also be really interesting to get someone who rides an upright TT bike and a Vendetta and to do some comparative testing between those 2 formats as well.

If you would like to come over for a day or 2 and do some testing and riding with me, get up with me and we can firm up any plans.
You can email me directly at larryoslund@gmail.com

All the best,
Larrybikegroup7-s.jpg

LarryOz

When can the other 10 test riders expect to received our plane tickets and hotel room confirmations. This is clearly a group project.
I can possibly provide some accommodation and transportation if someone wants to fly in. On a first come first serve basis of course.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
When can the other 10 test riders expect to received our plane tickets and hotel room confirmations. This is clearly a group project.
Am I too late for a free return flight from Australia, accommodation and food????
I am little so I do not eat much!!! AND I am a fast wheel changer, WITHOUT using a rubber mallet!!!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
All the best
Spot the odd bike out... it's a DF... why is it in that set of bikes? Was it your father's? :D
So I guess the testing will be on hills as well? I know some of those recumbents are just fast on the flats. I remember being zapped by a low racer about a year ago. Nice collection.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
If you want a DF as a comparison, a mountain-bike is the wrong variety. You need a track-bike. Ride the mountain-bike to the track, and then ride back on my Grasshopper. I can do that, if I get free flight from Stanstead, accommodation, food and bike-transport.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
An invitation of sorts:
I am finally taking a week off to do intensive testing of my collection of bikes (mostly recumbents) and their accompaniments.
I will spend the better part of 7 straight days doing various testing.
My testing will be conducted with power meters, and as similar components, wheelsets, tires and other items as possible.
One of my first goals is to attempt to make each bike as aerodynamic as possible by testing various changes within each bike itself.
The primary goal however is to test all the bikes at various speeds and wattages to discover how they compare and which ones take the least amount of watts at various speeds.
It may be that one bike is more efficient at one speed, but another bike is more efficient at another speed.
I will hopefully even have an SRAM Etap TT setup that should be a quick change over to any other bike.
I will begin on Saturday June 25 and ending on Friday July 1st
Most of my testing will be done on an 1/3 oval track or high school track in the area, and I plan to be out at one track or another all day, weather permitting of course.

The bikes I will be testing so far are:
  • Crubike Vendetta V20 - with various chainstay lengths, seat reclines, and handlebars
  • M5 Chome-Molly mid-racer
  • M5 Titanium Carbon Fiber low racer
  • M5 CHR
  • John Morciglio Arrowhead
  • John Morciglio M1 low racer
  • Zockra Clone FWD MBB built by Ken StolpMann
  • Specialized Crosstrail DF
  • John Morciglio Apache
  • John Morciglio Hammerhead
  • Tom Ollinger's FWD MBB named "Elegant Solution"
I know it is short notice, but I cordially invite anyone over to my neck of the woods to participate in this testing.
Are you curious how your Vendetta (or other bike) stacks up against some of these other bikes.
Would you like to try and ride some of these other bikes.
Would you like to experiment with different cranks lengths, helmets, handlebars, etc?
Never used a power meter?
I have an extra PT wheel that you can also use if you don't use power and are curious about that data, and my adjustable crank set.
It would also be really interesting to get someone who rides an upright TT bike and a Vendetta and to do some comparative testing between those 2 formats as well.

If you would like to come over for a day or 2 and do some testing and riding with me, get up with me and we can firm up any plans.
You can email me directly at larryoslund@gmail.com

All the best,
LarryView attachment 2676

As you have not replied to my request for free flights to/from Australia, I have assumed the answer is NO!!!
I am devastated!!!???

So I am going to try and make some coin out of the test results, by guessing which is the most efficient at 20 mph (32 kph) and 25 mph (40 kph)

Could you please label the bikes in the photo from one upwards and put the number next to the descriptions above.

I was thinking that for Cruzbike forum members, and even BROL members, that for each guess of the best 20 and 25 mph bike, required a $5 US donation to "3000 Miles to a Cure".
It would be nice that the winner of each speed receives 1/4 of the donations, but I doubt if it would be legal, or practical, so bragging rights only, and donations to a good cause!!!!

All Guesses of the best bikes to be submitted BEFORE June 25th!!!!

Is this a good idea, or just an Aussie being silly?

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
If it's in the velodrome ... The winner is the lone ranger , sorry, I meant the low racer. It's so so obvious you don't even need a trial. You would be better off trying out the new bbinfinite pulleys. Perhaps on the low racer.

LMT

If it's in the velodrome ... The winner is the lone ranger , sorry, I meant the low racer. It's so so obvious you don't even need a trial. You would be better off trying out the new bbinfinite pulleys. Perhaps on the low racer.

Interesting point, I'm curious about this as well. All the talk about power losses in the chain, seat etc, etc with standard RWD recumbents. Be interesting to see how power delivered at the pedals differs to that at the wheel.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master

Larry once said he wanted Cruzbike to build a low racer. He's persistent, he's persuasive, maybe there's more to his madness than meets the eye.

LarryOz

Be interesting to see how power delivered at the pedals differs to that at the wheel.
Since I have Vector pedals and a 700 wheel with PT hub, I'll be able to collect data from both point simultaneously. Won't that be neat?

If it's in the velodrome ... The winner is the lone ranger , sorry, I meant the low racer.
Up to this point, in very limited testing, the low racer and the Vendetta were virtually the same.
The Arrowhead (RWD #345-in pic) was about 1mph faster at higher speeds (>29mph) than the Vendetta, and a little slow at lower speeds (<25mph) - for same wattage of course, so there will no doubt be more than one "winner" per say depending on what you are looking for.

Of course - I'm thinking: I may need more like a month to do all this testing. :eek::)

Larry once said he wanted Cruzbike to build a low racer. He's persistent, he's persuasive, maybe there's more to his madness than meets the eye.
Yes - I still am lobbying for this. haha ..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Crzubike...;);););) Jim;);););) Maria ;);););)

Reactions: LMT

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry Calvins challenge cropped.jpg
Larry I am CERTAIN that you have tested your in line bottle holder that extends your kneck line!! Did it add 0.5 mph at 30 mph?
Also what speed increase when using your suicide bars?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Look at the advancements aerodynamically from the Silvio V1.0 to the Vendetta V1.0

3997818767_6163bf8d2e.jpg Maria_cell_phone1024768.jpg

Attachments

• 3997818767_6163bf8d2e.jpg
    3997818767_6163bf8d2e.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0