Trying to deal with Recumbutt on Silvio 1.5

bubbabent

I have had a great time with my Silvio 1.5 and may have about 150 miles on it now. I usually go 15 to 18 miles at lunch and often ride my Corsa (seat angle~ 17 degrees with Ventisit over Euromesh). Never any butt issues with the Corsa, but after 8 to 10 miles on the Silvio it feels like somebody put the Adolf's meat tenderizer on my cheeks. I have the Ventisit cover, but on that hard pan seat it may not be enough. I cut the original Corsa foam pad cover to a size that would fit the lower portion of the seat and ran some lock- tight straps through the foam and hooked it through the Ventisit and back through the foam and locked them down under the seat in two positions. I hope this works out. This has been my only major gripe with the bike and I want to enjoy the rides. I know that most folks don't seem to have this problem from what I have read, but not me.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
P1150141.JPG

P1150144.JPG
I have a Silvio V1.0 and Have 3 off 10 mm layers of AC10 open mesh, which is the same material as Vensisit seat pads only on the seat back, and on the base I also have the original rigid foam to keep the pad shape. P1150145.JPG

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Can you post a side picture of yourself sitting on the bike? We had a similar issue on the Quests but eventually we figured out we are sitting to far back into the seat with the boom too short. Lengthened the boom a touch and scooted forward and poof no more problem.

bubbabent

Thanks for the input guys, I would try to get a picture, but I have the foam in position now and it was a little tedious getting everything aligned. (picture would just show me with the new setup) I am going to try it for awhile to see if it works.
I could lengthen the boom, but I am sitting back pretty good now and that would force me to sit forward more just to have some flex in the knee at maximum extension. Guess that I will play around with it for awhile, having fun trying to go longer distances no hands and learning to steer with my feet.

bubbabent

Super Slim, If I am understanding you correctly, you have 3 layers and the original seat pad on the seat portion and 3 layers on the back?! If so , I won't feel too bad about adding that layer of "B" Corsa foam under mine. I added some of it between Corsa Euromesh and Ventisit to add lumbar support to aid in bridging up to climb better.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Sometimes recumbutt is sore gluteus muscles, you're in a new riding position. As Bob stated make sure your boom is adjusted correctly and that you are seated correctly.

This can happen and is usually temporary until the muscles are strengthen, if it's muscles. Stretching may also help. Make sure the under part of your thighs are not bouncing off the seat pan as your legs are extended on your stoke.

bubbabent

Well, looks like you guys were right, took a 6 mile ride on the extra cushion today and butt was no better. I removed the cushion, loosened the bolts , skewer, and boom and added a half inch of length. This felt a lot better after I replaced the frayed cable with a new one and then put on a new Shimano 105 derailleur and removed the old Ultegra FD-6700 (stripped out cable hold down bolt from before and used a longer bolt which stripped out today). It felt right for some reason and tuned the shifting in a little. I appreciate the advice guys!

telephd

Guru
bubba, I had issues with my S1.0. They resolved when I added a 100mm extension and got boom adjusted well. It worked like magic for me. Im 5'10" and sold the S1.0 to Dan who is shorter than me. As far as I know he is still using the extension with good results.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Super Slim, If I am understanding you correctly, you have 3 layers and the original seat pad on the seat portion and 3 layers on the back?! If so , I won't feel too bad about adding that layer of "B" Corsa foam under mine. I added some of it between Corsa Euromesh and Ventisit to add lumbar support to aid in bridging up to climb better.

That is correct!
I also added a 100mm chainstay extension that stopped the bottom of by thighs, pressing into the front of the seat, so the BB is now 5" higher than the lowest part of the cushioned seat.

hurri47

bubba, I had issues with my S1.0. They resolved when I added a 100mm extension and got boom adjusted well. It worked like magic for me. Im 5'10" and sold the S1.0 to Dan who is shorter than me. As far as I know he is still using the extension with good results.

I rode with that extension for a year and a half, but then I decided my hip angle was too closed. I started by building up the seat base to raise my butt up and toward the pedals to simulate additional recline until I realized it might be simpler to lower the bottom bracket instead. The extension has been removed, but I'm still trying to get "front" shifting right [edit: I said "rear" originally - the rear works fine], so no miles yet. (I'll probably have lots to say about it after I get some seat time. If it works, I'll have an extension for sale.)

Recumbutt (and recumspine) has been an issue, and I have added foam layers to both the seat base and back. It helped.

-Dan

Last edited:
Hurri47 You need to remove about five links from your chain. If you have not done this it will help. This is what I did when i took the extension and i have not had shifting problems.

telephd

Guru
Dan, cranky is correct. I added 200mm of chain when I installed the extension. There should be quick links both sides of the added chain.

hurri47

Dan, cranky is correct. I added 200mm of chain when I installed the extension. There should be quick links both sides of the added chain.

Hal, I started from scratch on chain length. I found the chain you added, and I removed that and one link pair more. Then I replaced the chain at the new length. (One standard length chain fits again. Yay!) The shifting issues I am having are more about getting the "front" derailleur lined up correctly, and I want to (finally) cut off that big loop of excess cable housing at the brifter end (when I replace the frayed cable after I get home from this trip). I hope that will make the brifter pull easier.

I also expect to do a lot of experimenting with hand position, since my arms seem to be straighter without the extension. Recumbent fitting is such fun!

-Dan

I l00ked up a video of how to adjust the SRAM yaw FD and the tricky part routing a new cable. I eventually had to go to my LBS where two mechanics eventually accomplished this. Be sure to look where the hole for the cable is when you pull it out.

Last edited:

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I rode with that extension for a year and a half, but then I decided my hip angle was too closed. I started by building up the seat base to raise my butt up and toward the pedals to simulate additional recline until I realized it might be simpler to lower the bottom bracket instead. The extension has been removed, but I'm still trying to get "front" shifting right [edit: I said "rear" originally - the rear works fine], so no miles yet. (I'll probably have lots to say about it after I get some seat time. If it works, I'll have an extension for sale.)

Recumbutt (and recumspine) has been an issue, and I have added foam layers to both the seat base and back. It helped.

-Dan
Dan, are you interested in selling your 100mm extension? If so, I'd be interested if the price is right. I assume that it will fit my Silvio 2.0+?

BJ686

For the recumbutt issue, you could also try ordering a foam seat pad from Bacchetta or RANS that is used on their standard/recurve seats. These pads are about 4 inches think of very spongy foam that is from a seat that is designed to be used in an upright position.

telephd

Guru
BJ686, that solution would have made my situation worse. On my S1.0 recumbutt was due to the underside of my thighs coming into contact with the seat pan due to a low crank height. Extra padding would have increased contact. My solution was to raise the crank height.

BJ686

BJ686, that solution would have made my situation worse. On my S1.0 recumbutt was due to the underside of my thighs coming into contact with the seat pan due to a low crank height. Extra padding would have increased contact. My solution was to raise the crank height.

Gotcha, that probably would make things worse if your thighs are hitting the seat pan. I guess I'm thinking of the issue where the problem is caused by too much firm pressure on the tailbone.

bubbabent

I rode about 16 miles at lunch today and still have some of the symptoms, I was going up an incline and was passing a man walking who said "nice Silvio" and I replied "so you are familiar with these bikes" and of course he said " I have a Vendetta at home" which was really surprising for north Alabama. I will figure this out eventually.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Last edited: