Vendetta Winterizing

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Now that the season is pretty much finished here, I am working on increasing my power output for next spring by building a bigger aerobic engine. And I don't want to waste any more power than necessary, so I'm also tuning my Vendetta for more efficiency in terms of lower drive train resistance, lower rolling resistance, less aerodynamic drag, greater kinematic advantage, physiological benefits, psychological effects, etc.

Here's what I've already done in the 2015 season:
  • Install carbon fiber wheel covers for the rear (non-drive) wheel
  • Install Enduro bottom bracket bearing
  • Change from 28 mm GatorSkins (actual 26.5 mm) to 25 mm Continental Grand Prix 4000s II tires
  • Replace 170 mm crank arms with custom 150 mm crank arms
  • Replace round chain rings with elliptical chain rings (Q-rings)
  • Change to long cage cassette derailleur to compensate for all combinations of cogs and chain rings
  • Mount bag and water bottle cages behind seat
  • Use bar end shifter for chain ring derailleur
  • Switch to Giro Air Attack Shield helmet
  • Mount mirrors behind brake lever and brifter

Here's what I have in the works for 2016:
  • Switch to a diamond coated, lighter weight, more durable chain
  • Prepare a pre-waxed, spare chain for quickly swapping out chains
  • Use paraffin wax as a chain lube
  • Install ceramic hybrid bearings in both wheels
  • Install new pedal bearings including needle bearings (Edit: also replacing stainless spindles with titanium spindles)
  • Use wax as cleat lubricant on SpeedPlay X2 pedals
  • Install latex inner tubes in both tires
  • Edit: switch to Specialized S-Works Turbo tires to save another 2.4 watts per pair
  • Shave arms and legs
  • Experiment with thin black PVC sheeting for redirecting airflow under the boom and on the frame under the seat
  • Powder coat original red frame with new, psychologically intimidating, matte black color - Stealth Vendetta
  • Experiment with custom drink mix and food choices for longer events such as N24HC
  • Map rides digitally to compensate for poorly marked courses
  • Record rides digitally for later analysis
  • Monitor pedaling cadence during rides
  • Think about a more aerodynamic front wheel
I'm not really interested in measuring power output anymore - I've done that before and the accuracy and value vs. the cost and effort just aren't worth it to me.

I'm probably missing something. So please put on your brainstorming hats and let me know if you have any ideas. All ideas are welcome, but I might not be able to use any or all suggestions for many possible reasons. Although, I definitely can't use any ideas that I don't have. Such is the nature of brainstorming.

Last edited:

Apollo

I have several questions about your 2015 component selection if it's all right to ask.

First, what crank are you using with the custom length and what difference did you feel afterwards?
Second, did you see a major improvement with elliptical rings?
Third, what cassette gearing did you have when you switched to a long cage derailleur?
Lastly, why use a bar-end shifter for the front derailleur?

Thanks

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
The cranks are SRAM APEX GXP cranks and were shortened to 150 mm by Mark Stonich at BikeSmith Design & Fabrication. Many here on the forum can testify to Mark's capabilities. The difference with short cranks is that pedaling is more comfortable since my knee angle does not go very much below 90 degrees now when bending. I did a lot of hard pedaling at low cadence all summer and didn't experience knee pain. In previous years, I would occasionally experience knee pain during a season, and would have it in both knees every year when my team went north for a three-day hill-climbing vacation. This happened even when I kept my cadence in the 90 RPM range, which I always tried to do. I have to attribute part of the lack of knee pain now to the elliptical rings, since they make a lot of sense, but I have no proof of that. The only drastic difference I could feel with the chain rings was when they were not tuned correctly - then I felt as if I had gone to the gym and done squats after the ride. So that showed me that they are doing something for sure, even when I can't feel it. As far as improvements from elliptical rings, I think so, but I can't prove it. My pedal stroke feels really strong and I have to assume part of it is from the elliptical rings, but some is from the short cranks. I changed both cranks and rings at the same time, so I can't tease out the differences.

My gearing is 53/34 Q-rings and 11-28 cassette. I can go up and down all the way in both directions in either ring with no problems with the long cage. I couldn't do that with a short cage. A friend recommended that I change the 28 tooth cog with something larger and then get rid of the small ring and chainring derailleur and shifter. That's an intriguing idea. Drop some weight and simplify the shifting.

I switched to the bar end shifter on the right side for the chain ring derailleur because I destroyed two left hand brifters during crashes when learning to ride the V. That got expensive. So I tried the bar end shifter because it is very durable. And I put a cheap brake lever on the left hand side to replace the destroyed brifter. Then I found that I liked the bar end shifter a lot because it is so much easier to use than the brifter. I wish I had switched over years ago.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I just got the drive wheel back (with new ceramic hybrid bearings). And I stopped by the powder coater, and my frame was done cooking and ready to cool. So I picked that up also. Then I went home and started slapping the V back together. I also have the new, diamond-coated, waxed chain installed. And the rebuilt pedals. It was 63 degrees today and sunny, so I got out on the road just when the sun was going down. This is one sweet ride, and it has a matte black frame now, so it has that stealth look. How's it feel now? This thing just slides down the road. Eventually, I'll get some pictures. I still have more mods to do for next season. But there's plenty of winter coming, so there's no hurry.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Diamond coated chain? I've seen that when I was ordering chains and thought that it would eat my cassette and chainrings. What is the advantage of diamond coated chain

Apollo

Thanks for answering the questions in my post, Joseph.

I had a single chainring on one of my DF bikes when I was young. Yes, it does simplify things and sheds a bit of weight. There are pros and cons to single chainrings. Even if you end up with a similar range, there may be bigger jumps between gears that you may not like depending on the cassette you have and the area you ride. It is certainly more doable these days with 11 speed gearing than it was when I experimented with it before 9 speed cassettes were even made available.

Your bike must really look lethal with the matte black finish. Can't wait to see pics.

Diamond coated chain? I've seen that when I was ordering chains and thought that it would eat my cassette and chainrings. What is the advantage of diamond coated chain
It supposedly increases the lifespan of a chain by making it more durable. I have two chains with a diamond coating and haven't really noticed an increase in durability compared to other high quality chains. They are not cheap either.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I implemented most of the new tweaks and went out for a 100-mile ride today, because it was sunny and in the fifties. All I have to say is, "I can't believe it's not butter!"

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Install ceramic hybrid bearings in both wheels
Joe, what kind of ceramic hybrid bearings did you end up using. Where you able to do a benchmark with the wheels before and then after to see what the difference was?
Could you feel anything difference with the ceramic bearings, or where there just too many changes at the same time?

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Joe, what kind of ceramic hybrid bearings did you end up using. Where you able to do a benchmark with the wheels before and then after to see what the difference was?
Could you feel anything difference with the ceramic bearings, or where there just too many changes at the same time?
Enduro bearings. I could feel the difference, but my old bearings were shot. Sorry, no benchmark. But the latex tubes - slippery like butter - and I felt it before I left the driveway.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Gorgeous. Love the bat decal.
It symbolizes the highly trained human component (no super powers or EPO) paired with superior technology. You can spot the super villains by their weapons of choice: clouds of toxic smoke, screaming out of windows while expressing IQ with a single finger, and of course, beaten up pickup trucks worth about $100 in scrap metal. And the combined smell of cigarette smoke and BO.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
combined smell of cigarette smoke and BO
goshhh don't take me back there.... Marlboro country... gee I was stuck in that what seems like decades. LOL. Much prefer being a freebird going down the rollers on a Cruzbike Vendetta; Cloud 9 indeed, this year has gone so fast. I put it down to the excitement of the V. When I stopped eating red meat and ate more vegetarian food the BO went. The V experience is something not to be missed.

jond

Zen MBB Master
joseph we will have to start calling you bruce wayne instead of my favourite villain from no country for old men. (love the cohen brothers' films) not sure how the new batman v superman film will go after the christian bale successful era.

the v looks superb in matt black. very purposeful.

will you upgrade your front wheel to deep dish anytime soon. i reckon my wheelset added to the bikes speed no doubt. but only over 30klm per hour. i reckon if you feel fast then you will be fast.

i read an article the other day stating merit to various aero ploys. after body position came clothing wheels and helmet . do any of us wear a skin suit yet or even a tri suit??????
incidentally i see the new bontrager ballista helmet is outgunning the giro air attack on effectiveness and price. but i like the idea of a shield to stop the wind burn to the eyelids and will buy both soon for xmas.

power meters. i use two of them pwr tap hubs g3 and gC3. i find them always to be consistent and very reliable and simple just using the one head unit. i find the parameter the most useful of all and ride to it always. i am surprised you found it to be inaccurate. the parameter is not subject to any fallibility in this guise but understand (sort of)the issue of pedal based systems and qrings.

what power meter were you using joseph. dont say garmin vector pedals?

over three years now with the g3 45k on it and changed bearings myself. i use it for events audax long distance and training to guage effort. it is amazing given relative experience how subjectivity and even heart rate can lead you to under (usual) or over (sometimes especially after rest) perform and risk a DNF over unfamiliar terrain. so finely tuned to the meter am i that i can detect early dehydration and save myself. invaluable and the one parameter i could not do without. i guess over regular training rides established times can be a great guide but ambient conditions wind speeds air temp even humidity can affect performances. the power meter does not care about wind or heat or humidity or up hills or down hills. it just tells you the work you are doing no ifs or buts.
i do not crunch numbers and do not have to be in particular zones for x amount of minutes. i just use it as a simple tool to tell me what exactly i am doing and relate that to what i can/need/want to do.
still all the fun of the fair eh. i am sure without a power meter i would survive.

maybe rethink the power meter subject to your goals.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
power meters. i use two of them pwr tap hubs g3 and gC3. i find them always to be consistent and very reliable and simple just using the one head unit. i find the parameter the most useful of all and ride to it always. i am surprised you found it to be inaccurate. the parameter is not subject to any fallibility in this guise but understand (sort of)the issue of pedal based systems and qrings.

what power meter were you using joseph. dont say garmin vector pedals?

over three years now with the g3 45k on it and changed bearings myself. i use it for events audax long distance and training to guage effort. it is amazing given relative experience how subjectivity and even heart rate can lead you to under (usual) or over (sometimes especially after rest) perform and risk a DNF over unfamiliar terrain. so finely tuned to the meter am i that i can detect early dehydration and save myself. invaluable and the one parameter i could not do without. i guess over regular training rides established times can be a great guide but ambient conditions wind speeds air temp even humidity can affect performances. the power meter does not care about wind or heat or humidity or up hills or down hills. it just tells you the work you are doing no ifs or buts.
i do not crunch numbers and do not have to be in particular zones for x amount of minutes. i just use it as a simple tool to tell me what exactly i am doing and relate that to what i can/need/want to do.
still all the fun of the fair eh. i am sure without a power meter i would survive.

maybe rethink the power meter subject to your goals.
What Jon said!