How to transport recumbent bikes
Jim and I take our Cruzbike recumbent road bikes everywhere. Sometimes the places we want to ride are not near enough to our home to pedal to and require us to put our Cruzbikes on a car rack.
This led us to ask the question, "What is the best way to transport recumbent bikes on a car rack?"
It's also a common question we receive from new Cruzbike recumbent bike owners.
When we first owned Cruzbikes many years ago, we used the inexpensive trunk mounted bike racks sold just about everywhere. The racks worked just fine, but the bike had to be secured on it with bungies and were positioned at a tilt since the Cruzbike frame does not have the standard top bar that is horizontal to the ground that you find on many traditional bikes. Also trying to put two Cruzbikes on one rack risked scratching the frames.
We soon graduated to what we believe is the very best way to transport a recumbent bike on a car and that is using any hitch mounted rack that cups the wheels. Over the years, many more brands with this configuration have come into existence.
Here is a list of car racks that would work well for transporting recumbent bikes:
- Thule T2 Pro XT (and other Thule models) The Thule T2 Pro XT is a popular choice for a reason. It is known for its sturdy build and reliable performance. The rack can hold two bikes up to 60 pounds each, and the adjustable ratcheting arm can securely hold the front wheel of your Cruzbike.
- Kuat Sherpa 2.0 The Kuat Sherpa 2.0 is another excellent hitch mounted bike rack that can hold your Cruzbike. This lightweight rack can hold two bikes up to 40 pounds each. The front wheel of your Cruzbike can be secured using the adjustable front tire cradle.
- Yakima Dr. Tray (and other Yakima models) The Yakima Dr. Tray is a versatile hitch mounted bike rack that can be adjusted to accommodate different bike sizes, including your Cruzbike. The rack can hold two bikes up to 40 pounds each, and the front wheel of your Cruzbike can be secured using the adjustable front tire clamp.
- 1Up USA Equip-D Double The 1Up USA Equip-D Double is a high-end bike rack that is known for its durability and stability. The rack can hold two bikes up to 75 pounds each, and the adjustable front tire holder can securely hold the front wheel of your Cruzbike.
- RockyMounts BackStage The RockyMounts BackStage is a swing-away hitch mounted bike rack that can hold two bikes up to 60 pounds each. The rack's adjustable front tire cradle can securely hold the front wheel of your Cruzbike.
- The Swagman Chinook (and other Swagman models) is a budget-friendly hitch mounted bike rack that can hold two bikes up to 45 pounds each. The adjustable wheel holders can accommodate the front wheel of your Cruzbike.
- We have also used the Hollywood rack and Saris rack and they both work great.
One final bit of advice: take off your seat cushion! We have lost many seat cushions moving down the road at 60 MPH, only to realize when we got to our destination that we would have to ride our Cruzbike sans cushion. If this warning comes too late, we do sell replacement seat cushions and covers 🙂.
@Ben – Something like this would probably work: https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-upride-_-599000 the same general guidelines apply – you’re looking for something that grabs the wheel.
Hello. Are there any roof racks that you’d recommend to carry the S40 or Q45?
This works with a full sized truck. https://www.outdoorplay.com/products/thule-insta-gator-pro-truck-bed-bike-rack?variant=41614820343959
Leave a comment